OPET is taking significant steps to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Turkish Republic with great enthusiasm. As a special tribute to the 100th year of the Republic, OPET has decided to equip all of its stations with Atatürk posters bearing the message “İlelebet” along with Turkish flags. The primary objective of this special project is to mark the 100th year of the Republic with great enthusiasm.
Furthermore, OPET operates with a vision that respects Turkey’s history and strives to revive important periods of the Republic. In line with this vision, they have initiated a project to restore the Eceabat/Maydos Fırka Headquarters, which was used by Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk during his tenure as the 19th Division Commander in the Çanakkale Campaign. Upon completion of this project, the Headquarters will be opened for visitation as a centennial gift to the Republic in 2024.
Celebrating the 100th Year of the Republic with Special Projects
OPET operates with the belief that every institution, born and raised in Turkey, has a responsibility to show respect for its country and history. Therefore, to celebrate the 100th year of the Republic, they have adorned their stations with Atatürk posters and Turkish flags. OPET greets its customers with messages like “We are in the 100th year of our Republic. With our projects, we will perpetuate our Republic.” through this special project.
Moreover, it is known that as part of the “Respect for History Project,” OPET continues its work in the areas where the Çanakkale Campaign took place. As a part of this project, they have taken on the restoration of the Maydos Fırka Headquarters, which Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk used as his command center during the Çanakkale Campaign.
Restoration of Eceabat/Maydos Fırka Headquarters
As part of the “Respect for History Project,” OPET has been rehabilitating the Eceabat Peninsula, revitalizing sites such as martyrs’ graves, mosques, and schools, all while preserving the historical heritage of the Çanakkale Campaign. Additionally, they aim to bring the Maydos Fırka Headquarters, which Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk used as his command center during the Çanakkale Campaign, back to life through restoration.
The Headquarters, which Ulu Önder Atatürk used for approximately two months starting from February 25, 1915, when he went to the Çanakkale Front, will be restored while preserving its historical texture and will be redesigned as a museum. At the Headquarters, orders, reports, and letters written by Atatürk will also be exhibited, bringing this important period to life.
Celebrating the 100th Year with Enthusiasm
Nurten Öztürk, Founding Member of the Board of Directors of OPET, stated that they want to celebrate the 100th year of the Republic with great enthusiasm at all OPET stations. She expressed that they take pride in celebrating the 100th year of the Republic alongside their customers, dealers, and the entire nation. She also emphasized that by completing the restoration of the Maydos Fırka Headquarters, they aim to present this important historical heritage as a gift to the nation. The Maydos Fırka Headquarters holds a special place in Turkey’s history and has witnessed significant moments during the Republican era.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s First Headquarters in Çanakkale
The Maydos Fırka Headquarters, restored by OPET, has a special place in Turkish history. In 1915, under the leadership of Lieutenant Colonel Mustafa Kemal, the 19th Division arrived in the Çanakkale Campaign along with the 57th Regiment, and it was re-established in Maydos with the participation of the 72nd and 77th Regiments sent from Istanbul.
The 19th Infantry Division earned a distinguished place in Turkish history by engaging in battles against the British and Anzac forces at the forefront of the northern front in the Gallipoli Peninsula. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk commanded the 19th Division for approximately two months from the Maydos two-story building during this campaign. After serving as an army office and later as a district governor’s office for a while during the Republican era, the building was transformed into a Cultural Museum in 2005.